Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Resuming the Quest

It has been over a year since my last post on this blog, as as I went about my day off from social media, I thought about something that has crossed my mind many times in the past year.  I thought about bringing this blog back, about trying again, about giving it the run I should have given it in the first place.  I feel now is the time to do so.

One reason I dropped this blog in the first place was the sheer abundance of tea review blogs already on the internet.  Not only has this number not declined, it has, in fact, increased!  So why does this no longer bother me?  There are two reasons for this.

Partly it is because reviews are such a subjective thing, that I feel you never can truly have "too many" review sites.  The other reason is that I simply just don't mind anymore.  Originally I wanted to blog so I could get a huge readership, earn a ton of money on advertising, you know, the usual stuff.  Since that time, I've learned that by blogging, I learn more about myself and about the topic I'm writing on.

In the past I gave up on sites because they never "took off."  Well, no longer will this be the case! My mind is not focused on being the next "big" blogger anymore.  While a part of me still wants to have lots of people read what I have to say, it isn't the most important thing now.   I know now that I can't force being an amazing blogger, and now I want to write for a new reason.  If any of my blogs do "take off," then so be it, I'll enjoy my moment in the spotlight and continue doing my best.

The reason for writing now is more personal.  I intend to write about tea the same way I've begun writing about technology.  From here on out, writing is more a tool to better my own knowledge and understanding of different concepts and ideas.  If anyone else feels enriched at the same time, all the better, as it means I'm starting to really understand.

So, instead of simply reviewing teas, as I originally intended, I plan on looking deeper into the topic.  I want to learn more about the people in the tea community, from the farmers, to the merchants, to the consumers.  I intend to learn about the places, and what makes tea from different areas so different.  My intention is to learn what makes tea what it is, and I invite you to join me on this quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment